By Naledi Nyoni
HARARE — Government has launched a formal investigation into the Lake Kariba ferry disaster after revising the number of people aboard the ill-fated Mbuya Nehanda to about 180, as the death toll rose to 94.
The August 11 tragedy is now Zimbabwe’s deadliest transport disaster on record, surpassing the 1991 Nyanga bus crash in which 89 people were killed.
Addressing the media at a post-Cabinet briefing on Tuesday, Women Affairs, Community and Small and Medium Enterprises Development Minister Monica Mutsvangwa said preliminary investigations indicated that the Rural Infrastructure Development Agency (RIDA)-operated ferry was carrying passengers and goods beyond its capacity when it capsized in rough conditions.
“The nation is advised that preliminary investigations indicate that the Rural Infrastructure Development Agency (RIDA)’s Mbuya Nehanda ferry which capsized on Lake Kariba on 11 August, 2026 was ferrying about 180 passengers and goods, thus exceeding its carrying capacity.
“The vessel reportedly capsized after being struck by strong waves.
“Government notes that the Meteorological Services Department had issued an early warning advising all lake users against sailing,” Mutsvangwa said.
Government initially said 114 adults and five crew members were aboard, with the number of children unknown.
Its latest figures show that 77 people were rescued alive, while 92 bodies had been recovered by August 16.
Seven people confirmed by relatives to have been aboard remained missing at that stage.
National police spokesperson Commissioner Paul Nyathi said the death toll had since risen to 94.
“Reference is made to the ZRP press statement released on 18/08/26 regarding the update on the Kariba RIDA boat accident.
“The death toll is now 94.
“The ZRP’s deployment of search teams will continue as efforts to locate any missing persons or bodies continue,” Nyathi said.
Government’s revised estimate of 180 people aboard the vessel raises fresh questions about how the ferry was allowed to operate with such a passenger and cargo load.
Local Government and Public Works Minister Daniel Garwe said the vessel had a valid certificate of fitness issued through the Ministry of Transport and Infrastructure Development, but blamed the disaster on the captain’s negligence and human error.
“The boat had a fitness certificate, it was certified through the Ministry of Transport and Infrastructure Development.
“The problems that occurred were as a result of negligence and human error by the captain of the boat.
“It had nothing to do with whether the boat was not fit or was fit,” Garwe said.
Government said the formal investigation would examine the structural remains of the ferry as well as operational and compliance issues surrounding the disaster.
President Emmerson Mnangagwa has declared the disaster a State of Disaster under Section 27(1) of the Civil Protection Act.
Government has ordered authorities to provide affected families with funeral services, medical assistance and psychosocial support.
State-assisted burials are being provided through Doves and Nyaradzo Funeral Services, while the Department of Civil Protection is coordinating search, rescue and recovery operations with the Zimbabwe Republic Police Sub-Aqua Unit, the Zimbabwe National Army Boat Squadron, local authorities and other stakeholders.
A privately owned helicopter from the Matusadona Conservation Trust has also been deployed to support the search.
Search teams were continuing to look for the seven missing people as authorities sought to establish how the ferry, despite having a valid fitness certificate, came to be carrying about 180 people and goods before capsizing in rough conditions.
Ongoing investigations are expected to examine the circumstances surrounding the ferry’s departure, its passenger and cargo load, the weather warning, the captain’s decisions and compliance with safety requirements.
The disaster has also raised broader concerns over the management and regulation of passenger vessels on Lake Kariba, particularly those serving communities that depend on ferries to travel between Kariba town and remote areas.
Government has urged all Lake Kariba users to remain vigilant and immediately report any floating objects as recovery operations continue.