Kariba ferry tragedy death toll rises to 93, 83 victims identified 

By Naledi Nyoni 

KARIBA — The death toll from the Kariba Rural Infrastructure Development Agency (RIDA) boat disaster has risen to 93, with 83 victims now positively identified by their next of kin, police said on Tuesday.

National police spokesperson Commissioner Paul Nyathi said one more body had been accounted for, taking the death toll from 92 reported on Monday to 93.

“The Zimbabwe Republic Police confirms that as at 1100 hours today, the Kariba Rural Infrastructure Development Agency (RIDA) boat accident death toll has risen to 93,” Nyathi said in a statement issued on Tuesday.

Police have so far released the names of 39 newly identified victims, bringing the total number of identified bodies to 83.

“This brings the total number of victims identified to 83, following the identification of 44 victims on 14th August 2026,” Nyathi said.

Among those identified are 10 children, including a five-month-old baby, according to the police statement.

The latest list includes Jeremiah Chakabvapasi, 32, Mereki Hwani, 54, Tanatswa Ncube, 10, Siadembe Richard Junior, two, Eken Kapandura, two, Beauty George, 29, Noah Msaka, 40, Trish Mangoroma, 21, Lungulani Sianjema, four, and Mitchel Jeke, seven.

Other newly identified victims are Ashley Eric Muzunga, 15, Student Makara, five, Luumono Siabwnda, 18, Matilda Gwangwaba, 44, Dolleta Jakarasi, 17, Bliss Simamba, five months, and Felicia Mukwonka, 18.

Police said identification of the remaining victims was continuing in collaboration with their families and other authorities.

“Members of the public who may have relatives or close associates still unaccounted for following the accident are urged to contact the local Police Station or approach the Command Centre in Kariba for assistance,” Nyathi said.

Search and recovery operations have continued since the RIDA vessel capsized on Lake Kariba, with police progressively updating the death toll as more bodies are recovered.

Monday’s police update put the death toll at 92 after eight more bodies were recovered. 

The latest figure of 93 makes the disaster one of Zimbabwe’s deadliest recent maritime accidents. 

LATEST NEWS

RELATED POSTS